Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Homemade nut butters

Did you know it is ridiculously easy to grind your own almond or peanut butter? I didn't realize it until just the other day.

Freddy's had a sale on almonds. $3/pound. Considering that almond butter usually costs around $6/11oz, the savings are significant.

I popped a couple of cups of almonds and walnuts in the food processor and let it run several minutes. Voila. Almond butter.

I added the walnuts for the omega content. I suppose if you added a handful of sunflower seeds for the vitamin D content, you would have quite the super food.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I make and eat almond butter. The kids prefer peanut. I never thought of those additions. Great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy Dear~~ I bet your family is super healthy!

Laura said...

Hi did you toast the almonds first?



Love,

Cory Lee



[ps say hi to guy!]

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

HI Cory, the almonds came toasted already. But, this year I am planting an almond tree, so I will probably have to roast them first.

Guy says hi backatcha.

Grace, I wish we could say we are super healthy. But we aren't quite where we should be. It is hard to eat well without sacrificing quality/flavor.