Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Kicky milkers (goats)

Well, the milking has been going just about the same as my last entry on the subject. I got kicked in the throat the other day, that was fun. I decided to do a little research on the subject of kicky goats. I have learned that it could be a lot worse... and I learned that there are a few things that I could be doing differently. But all in all it isn't too unusual. Here is an interesting thread: http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2767&p=1

There are a few tips in here regarding technique, such as doing your best never to pull (which is very hard to do when being kicked at) and making sure you never feel milk going back up in the teat.

I haven't been able to get the hobble to work on her. She kicks like hell when I try to put it on, and works quickly to get out of it. I don't know how she does it so well.

So the only way that I've been able to accomplish getting any milk done is by firmly holding onto one of her back legs, and expect her to kick. That way I can quickly move the milking vessel out of the way so she won't stick her foot in it or kick it across the room.

I didn't have a filtering system set up when I got our milk goat. I have a filter coming to us, but now I am thinking my current system might work better. I found out that it is much easier and sanitary to have a filter in place while you are milking. So far I've been using sanitized mason jars with coffee filters, secured with the ring of the mason jar. That way I don't have to worry about the hair and stuff floating around in the milk and it saves me a little time. I have to have four on hand set up to milk one doe. They get a little frothy and messy otherwise.

The filter in this video is the one that I have coming. It will hopefully be faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxludDN_si4&feature=related

0 comments: