Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Building rock paths

In the winter, the paths around here are muddy hazards. Especially if we are leading a goat (Falcon) up to the milking area. They like getting to the stanchion as soon as possible so they pull as hard as they can, sometimes even choking themselves. This makes for a lot of falling and accidents.

So Ed and I are thinking we need gravel paths. Thing is, Ed wants to buy gravel, but I don't want to have to buy rock when we have so much laying around. So I've decided to try to build paths out of what we have on hand. Since I have started challenge to rid the garden of slugs--this means that I will need to move a lot of rock from the gardens anyway.

I started by using my new mini tiller to loosen up the soil for a pathway.


Then dug some slightly deeper areas, where I placed the largest of  the rocks I could find.



On top of the large rocks I will place medium size rocks, and then rocks that get progressively smaller.


Guy and the dogs are helping and playing with a toy that Aunt Grace got for Guy. Sorry, Grace, the dogs popped it but they are still having lots of fun!

Anyway, the path is pretty rickety, but I am hoping that the clay soil will help stabilize them over time. I'm hoping it will eventually look like a dry river bed (which I'm pretty sure this property was originally anyway). Will keep you posted on whether this was a good idea or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, I could barely recognize it until you mentioned that it popped. LOL I'm glad Guy is having fun. I bet he loves helping move rocks. I think this is a great idea. And he is SUCH A CUTIE PIE!!!!

Have you considered wood chips from the tree trimmers? I know around here you can get them to dump a load at no charge.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Yeah, we have a pig pile of them but they get muddy so quickly!