Monday, September 13, 2010

Health issues: the results of my vestibular tests

Ever since my very early 20's I've been dealing with bouts of vertigo, migraines, fatigue, nausea, a feeling of fullness and fluid in my ears and random allergy issues. When I first went to the doc in my early 20's she told me it was likely viral, recommended, meclizine for the vertigo and nausea and decongestants for the fluid in my ears and something like flonase for the allergies. Since then, I've come to deal with the symptoms and just have a lot of days where I don't feel well and sometimes its just best that I stay in bed and take it easy.

Recently I looked up vertigo in Wikipedia to see if there is anything new that I can do to help alleviate the symptoms, which is where I read about vestibular disorders (also called balance disorders). I had no idea that there was such a thing, and so I asked my doctor for a referral to an ENT for an evalation.

She gave me a referral, and the doc first asked me to have an vestibular test performed to rule out any inner ear dysfunction. I asked the doctor to have a full allergy testing evaluation performed, which will happen wednesday.

The biggest revelation is my caloric tests. Evidently my responce was abnormal and I do have inner ear dysfunction. I don't know what this means or how they will treat it yet. I will be going over the results of this test and the allergy testing wednesday.

Anybody out there have this problem or have tests performed?

1 comments:

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Before I forget I wanted to mention that I did go a few days ago to see the vestibular physical therapist my doc referred me to. She bent me every which way to test for benign positional vertigo, which is the condition that is caused by chrystals floating around in your ear. She said that since she was not able to recreate the vertigo that it is not the benign positional vertigo. She also said that there isn't anything you can do about the hyperactive ear that was discovered on the caloric.

What she did say is that she believes that my vertigo is either caused by inflammation in the ears as a result of allergies, and that it can also be the way that a migraine manifests itself. She said she thought both are true with me.