Thursday, October 14, 2010

Anyone know if the redworms that come up to the surface this time of year are the right kind of worms for composting?

I've noticed that after a heavy rain during the spring or fall that these redworms come up to the surface and that they look like the redworms that I've bought in the past. I've failed a few times with them, and am hoping to not have to buy worms again. Buying worms seems silly to me.

Anyway, I've been collecting these worms for several days while out checking on my slug traps. I'm going to try and use them for composting coffee grounds just outside my kitchen door.

Does anyone know if these are the same species that are being sold?

I've posted this question on several forums and will post any information that I've found in the comments section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy Dear, I can't say for sure but I think they are. I had a worm bin for a long time and the worms looked identical to the ones in my compost heap which are the same ones that hide under boards or leaves or pots.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

That's what I thought too. But many people say that they aren't the same. Others say they are... I guess I will only find out by trying it!