Saturday, October 16, 2010

What is up with this cauliflower?

Wilted leaves on my cauliflower
Actually, its not just the cauliflower but many of my brassicas. The cauliflower is just the most extreme example. Here's another, on a small cabbage:
I'm working under the assumption that something is wrong near the roots. The soil is moist but not overly so. I didn't see any bugs in the roots when I harvested the cauliflower today. I think I have some gopher problems, but didn't see any signs near this plant. So what do you think?

5 comments:

Mr. H. said...

Where I live this is often a sign of root maggots. -

http://www.gardenguides.com/812-root-maggot-information.html

I put a small (6x6") square of weed barrier, with a slit cut half way down the middle, around the base of the plant making sure to leave a slight bowl shaped depression so that water will more easily penetrate through to the roots of the cabbage. It is then covered with soil. This works really well for us.

Laura said...

What a beautiful cauliflower. I've never been able to get them to look that good. Do you know what the variety was?

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

I think this is "Amazing" but am not sure. Actually, I planted these in the spring, anticipating summer harvest and it took forever for them to mature. I started giving them hefty doses of liquid fertilizer (both organic and non) and that's when they started to grow big and finally head up.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Thanks for the tip Mr. H! I just pulled a bunch of plastic mulch around the bases of hot loving plants so maybe I'll just move them over to the cabbages. I want to inspect the roots that I pulled yesterday a little more to be sure of what I am dealing with.

So the root maggot feeds on the plants, thus dehydrating them?

Anonymous said...

I am clueless but still agree with your mom. It looks fabulous. I hope someone can help you.