Sunday, March 28, 2010

I'm done with vacuums

Ed and I spent $400 on one of those fancy Dyson vacuums a few months ago. We thought that it would be worth it. It wasn't. The vacuum has no light, the hose is totally awkward to use, it doesn't vacuum well under counters. For the money, it was a total ripoff.

So now that we have ripped out all the carpet of our house, I'm going to try to take this vacuum back and I won't buy another one. An old fashioned broom is so much faster, more efficient, doesn't have cords all over the place, doesn't use electricity, takes up too much space, etc.

I'm not really sure why but a vacuum is one of those things that just felt necessary. But now I realize it is just another gadget that some salesperson worked very hard to sell to society. So go fly a kite vacuum industry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy Dear~~ You probably don't know this but my house is almost exclusively hardwood floors. My bedroom is the only carpeted one. We bought a Kenmore canister several years ago. It's a piece of crap. The part of the hose that attaches to the canister always falls out and duct tape is only minimally useful. Although I mostly use a broom, the best place to buy a vacuum is Goodwill or garage sales. Cheap and smaller than those big honkers, they do an adequate job and if they become too annoying, I'm only out a few bucks instead of a bunch.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Agreed! I brought the vacuum back to Home Depot last night and didn't have a receipt or the box. They gave me a credit, but only at the last sale price, which was $80 cheaper than the original price. I guess that is fair, considering that they have no way of knowing how much I paid for it.