Friday, October 8, 2010

Is there such a thing as indeterminate and determinate potato varieties?

As I discussed yesterday in my harvest of potatoes for the year, I noticed some big differences in the way that the potato varieties grew. Some varieties, especially the yukons and the sangres, grew potatoes all up the vine, all the way to the soil line, as you can see in the following photograph. But others grew more laterally... they threw out roots in all directions, mostly toward the very bottom of the vine.
Well, darn, this is actually a terrible photograph. Too late to shoot another, but you can kinda see how this variety grows straight up the vine versus more horizontally.
Another terrible photo. I promise to take better photos next year. You can kind of see how long this vine got.  There's probably an additional three feet that did not get covered by soil. 
So does anyone out there know? Knowledge as to which varieties are which could be highly useful. 

I wanted to poke around last night and find more information, but didn't know how to do so. I guessed and punched in "indeterminate potato" into google. Of course, google told me that I meant "indeterminate tomato." But also came up with a handful of links of discussions on the topic.

For example, there is this link: http://cropwatch.unl.edu/web/potato/desiccation_why_and_when which discusses determinate and indeterminate potato varieties as if it is common knowledge. There is also a thread on the garden web forum casually discussing the topic. Other than that, there seems to be no information.

Anybody out there know? I've posted this question into several gardening forums and any information that I receive will be placed in the comments section. If you want to be notified when I receive additional information leave a comment and make sure to check the box that says to email you additional comments.

7 comments:

Mr. H. said...

Here is a site you might like and this guy knows his potatoes pretty well.

http://tatermaterseeds.com/

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Interesting. I saw on your blog that you save your own potato seeds? How long have been doing that?

Joan Lambert Bailey said...

Amy, I'm tooting my own horn a wee bit here, but I think it might help you find the answer you're looking for. I wrote a series of posts about Royer Held, Project Grow's potato and heirloom seed guy, and he offered some good leads. Here's the link:
http://a2projectgrow.blogspot.com/2010/04/royer-held-on-saving-potato-seeds-and.html
Hope it helps!

Mr. H. said...

We have been saving our own potato seed for about 7 + years now.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Do you save seed potato or potato seed?

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

David from Self-sufficient farming yahoo group writes:

Right out of the American Journal of Potato Research (who knew such a thing existed). Hope this helps.
>
>
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/d4686502lq136845/
>
>

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Pat from Self-sufficient yahoo forum writes:


There are also perennial potatoes which Oikos Trees nursery carries. I'll post the link in a little while.
Pat M
NM


AND


I didn't find the perennial potato this time at Oikos, but am including their link as they have a wonderful selection of plants and trees that do in many parts of the country, some very rare and highly useful. They work hard at being sustainable in what they do.

http://oikostreecrops.com

Pat M