Sunday, February 7, 2010

Diagnosis: Major Depressive Disorder, part 5

Crash. How ironic that in my last post I reported feeling better. It wasn't long after that post that I started feeling groggy and my muscles started hurting. It's been the same since. Random muscles in my body hurt. Muscles in my legs feel like they do just before getting a charlie horse. Very tense. I have felt this random pain in the past and thought that perhaps I had fibromyalgia. But then I figured out that fibromyalgia, along with chronic fatigue syndrome (another ailment I frequently complain about) are two disorders that frequently present with depression. Oh. So its sort of all in the same bag.

I have been grinding my teeth while sleeping and I am having a TMJ flareup (additional conditions associated with anxiety and depression). I've had this problem in the past but it went away as long as I didn't put much pressure on my jaw. Now it hurts to chew. Hopefully it will go away again.

A disorder that I was diagnosed at puberty is irritable bowel syndrome. Yay me! A poop disorder! I have never been regular. It wasn't until my mid-twenties that I knew that a person is supposed to poop every day. Sometimes I don't go for well over a week.
Did you know (I did not know until very recently) that there are two places serotonin is found in your body? Yep. Your brain, and your gut. One treatment that doctors use for IBS is antidepressants.
TMI? Sorry. But I wanted to talk about all of the random conditions that are all associated with neurotransmitter imbalances.

The most significant problem for me has been premenstrual problems. Thank God there is now a term for the menstrual issues I have been afflicted with for my entire life. If there is any lingering doubt out there about whether or not Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder exists, please take my word for it. It does. Basically it is all of my symptoms of depression multiplied numerous times. It is a horrible problem and terribly debilitating.

And yes, this problem is also associated with neurotransmitter issues. SSRI's and other antidepressants are often prescribed for PDD. Evidently there is some interplay between estrogen and serotonin in susceptable individuals, that I haven't taken the time to figure out.

Allright, well, today is football day. I hate football but Ed actually likes the Superbowl, so we're having some folks over. Our tiny house is a disaster and I must clean up.

I know that last post I promised to talk about all of the remedies that I have tried for my problems but I don't have time. I will post about that later.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy Dear~~ I'm glad you felt up to having friends over for the game.

Genetics again? Maybe. All three of my daughters/your cousins are on Yaz [birth control] for icky PMS and irregular mc. Also, I remember as a kid waking up at night to your mom's teeth grinding.

I hope your days get brighter as the days lengthen. What a great summer you're going to have in your new place. I know, I know, one day at a time. :)