Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Gift of Fear

The news this evening is filled with violence, especially violence against women. Yuck.

A few years ago I watched an Oprah show featuring this book. I then got it from the library and wrote down the most useful tips so I could read them again in the future.
The book is very good and I hope everyone reads it. It is specifically geared toward women and violence against women, but it would be good for a man to read as well. And, I found myself thinking that had I read this book before I got into certain relationships that I would have prevented myself from other ways of being victimized.

Grace, I think this would be an excellent purchase for the family and highly recommend that all the girls read it, especially before they start seriously dating. It really does have some very useful information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy Dear~~ I have this book. It was life changing. TV dramas are a great way to practice seeing the different strategies criminals use to lure victims.

The only problem with this book and similar ones is how paranoid they made me. I was already struggling with anxiety issues and the idea of reading them was to feel empowered. And I did. But I was also really paranoid. Hopefully this is not the case with you.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Oh good I'm glad you have it! I already have terrible fears of sex offenders (especially with Guy) and such. I don't feel empowered but I do feel better about listening to insticts, just like animals do, rather than trying to be "nice."