Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Newly hatched chicks

So two of my chicks have hatched. Yay! Unfortunately I collected these all at different times so will have different hatch dates. Lesson 1: put hatching eggs in the incubator on the same day!

So this first little dude seems to be doing well. I was pretty scared today as s/he just seemed kind of listless... falling over, staggering... but then he just seemed to be getting more and more active, and is now taking in food (they say they're not usually hungry until the third day).

I found this video of a newly hatched chick and is very similar to what he and my subsequent hatch are doing.

The other chick has recently had his eyes stuck closed. I wish I knew if that was relatively normal.

4 comments:

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Okay so I just cleaned the eyes with some antibiotic water. They weren't stuck. Either it was just choosing not to open its eyes or they were swollen. Hmmm...

Laura said...

Happy chick raising. This is very cool.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

So the new baby chick looks normal now, no funny eye business. Boy its a little nerve wracking to have them so young!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy Dear~~ I'm so glad the little guy/gal is okay.