Sunday, April 4, 2010

Book review: Nourishing Traditions



As the title implies, this book is all about traditional foods. It is largely based on the work of the dentist Weston Price, who traveled the world and found that those who ate their traditional diet were far healthier than our modern diet.

The book attempts to debunk the so-called "myths" surrounding the saturated fat, cholesterol and heart disease theory. The author throws a billion studies at the reader. But the author strikes me as a gal who was already convinced of her own perspective and sought evidence to convince readers into thinking the same.

Many writers are convinced that saturated fats and cholesterol have no bearing on heart disease. I guess I cannot fathom how so many doctors and so many studies could be that incorrect. But it happened with margarine, so I guess it is highly possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy Dear~~ Happy Easter to you and yours. Your mom wrote me about photos of her recent visit. They're on Picasa. Guy is such a handsome boy. Your surroundings look just delightful.

I remember seeing a study--I can't recall where--about the perfect teeth of third world populations. The lack of our western high-sugar diet was supposedly the reason. Made sense to me. But like you so aptly pointed out, the reader must always be skeptical of the author's motives.

Have a great day!

Laura said...

I have a friend who buys our very high cholesterol duck eggs because she totally believes in this book.

I recently read some Price brochures that I ran into. Short and sweet is easier for me to absorb than this book, which I do own. It's grass feeding of the animals that creates the health advantage. Even Michael Pollan in Food Rules says the same, page 61-62.

Patrick's practicing the trumpet now and it's taking away my ability to concentrate. That and the 10 jelly beans I just ate.