Friday, August 27, 2010

Tomato problems

+

So evidently I've done something to piss off the garden gods. Because if it wasn't maddening enough that I have yet to eat a ripe tomato this year, my fruit is starting to get ugly scars all over them. I think I may have the dreaded tomato blight.



http://www.rodale.com/tomato-blight?page=0%2C1
  
UPDATE: I went to the extension office to find out what they thought. After googling they came up with the same scary diagnosis I initially did. But now I don't think it is the blight. Only one plant's leaves are ugly, they've been that way for a long time. From what I understand about blight, the plants will  all die quickly if they are infected. All of my plants look very healthy, other than the one. It's the fruits that  are turning ugly. And they got significantly worse when I went in and pruned them significantly to try and get them to ripen.

So, my new self-diagnosis: sun scald. I still don't know what is wrong with the one plant, but I am not going to bother  trying to figure out what one plant has wrong. I will probably live to regret  that decision. I hope not.

Moral of the story: be very careful when pruning. Here's more info: http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/sunscald.pdf

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And next year, plant them in a different location with a hearty handful of bone meal or lime. The calcium helps to stave off the dreaded blossom end rot. I learned this in my MG classes years ago. I think the one plant has early blight not late blight but I could be wrong.

Farmers' Markets have great looking tomatoes this time of year. Just chock your losses up to experience and support your local grower. This is what I do.

John said...

Wow its really a nice blog.

http://buy-tools.blogspot.com/

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Well, the "disease" didn't spread so I'm still assuming it is sunscald. The fruits are all starting to ripen finally!