Thursday, September 16, 2010

Results of my allergy testing

So it turns out that I am allergic to everything. Okay, maybe not everything but a lot of stuff I didn't know about. Dust itself, both species of dust mites, all molds, cats, dogs, and pollen (I knew about that one).

The doctor also tested for food allergies. I had reactions to: peanuts, onions, chicken (not eggs thankfully), salmon, crab, beef, pork. He said that this doesn't necessarily mean that I am allergic to those foods, but I did have a reaction to them and its a slight possibility that they could be adding to my symptoms.

Crazy, huh? The first thing he wants me to work on is eliminating dust from the bedroom (especially covering the beds and pillows with allergy covers) and doing something about the dogs sleeping in the bedroom. Yikes. That one is going to be hard. I also have to make it really easy to clean in here: no clutter so that I can dust, no bookshelves, closet doors closed, etc etc. Once I get the bedroom finished, I branch out to the rest of the house.

No wonder I get headaches and am tired all the time along with all of the other symptoms.

Moral of the story: if you've ever had nagging symptoms, ask your doctor for a referral to an ENT and ask them to perform a battery of allergy tests. I wish I had done this long ago so that I knew what exactly my body is sensitive to.

Anyone else out there have allergy issues? If so what is most helpful to you?

0 comments: